Monday, 24 August 2026

RHTB 42





Chapter 42


Rewind to a few hours earlier.

Cheng An was filming a scene in the water. Always dedicated, she never used a stunt double for such scenes.

Her co-star was the second female lead, a rising star who had recently gained popularity through a period drama. Because her features resembled those of a younger Cheng An, she was called "Little Cheng An."

The two women's meeting was already fraught with tension. Cheng An didn't know what she had done to offend this woman, making her speak so veiledly.

Her agent pulled her aside, explaining that the other woman's backer was quite powerful and was an investor in the drama, and advised her not to bother with her.

Cheng An had never publicly revealed her family background in the entertainment industry, but that didn't mean she was powerless.

However, she wouldn’t stoop down to hold it against a newcomer like her.

This scene involved the second female lead pushing Cheng An into the water.

For some reason, the second female lead hadn't gotten this take right even after more than ten takes.

For example, right now, Cheng An had been roughly pushed into the water. It was the second female lead's turn to say her lines, but she only looked apologetically at the director: "Sorry, director, I forgot my lines. Let's do it again."

Cheng An stood in the water watching her, clearly seeing the smugness in her eyes.

Cheng An emerged from the water, feeling quite weak. Although the water wasn't cold, being submerged for so long was still uncomfortable.

Equally exasperated with the second female lead, the director approached Cheng An and asked if she was alright and could continue.

Cheng An shook her head: "I'm fine, Director, let's keep filming. I can persist."

The director's expression softened slightly. He turned to the second female lead and snapped, "I don't care which investor put you in here, but if you continue like this, go home and stop acting! You can't even say your basic lines. I don't know which idiot put you on board."

The director was notoriously short-tempered and never gave anyone face.

The second female lead's face flushed and paled by his words. She wanted to retort, but she was still somewhat afraid of the director. Her level was too low for him to be in his films.

"Elder Sis, you shouldn't target Film Queen," the second female lead's assistant whispered, trying to persuade her.

"What do you understand! I'm clearly younger and prettier, yet she overshadows me. She's been out of the industry for three years, how can she still be my equal?"

The assistant didn't even know where to begin complaining. The other party was a Film Queen. Even after all these years, she still had considerable influence—that was all due to her talent. While her own artist, besides being lucky enough to have a face somewhat similar to Cheng An's, couldn't compare to Cheng An in acting skills at all. Where did she get the audacity to target the Film Queen?

She just relied on her sugar daddy's favor to act so recklessly.

The assistant was already thinking about who she should side with when this actress's career collapsed.

Cheng An rested for a while before the filming continued.

This time, the second female lead put in even more force. The push was enough to make Cheng An's back ache.

After entering the water, she had slightly deviated from the planned location.

This caused Cheng An to be caught off guard, stepping on some uncleaned seaweed, falling into the water, and choking on a mouthful of water.

Chaos erupted on the shore as they quickly pulled Cheng An out of the water.

Even Cheng An's manager couldn't hold back: "Are you crazy? Didn't we agree to push this spot? Why did you use so much force?!"

"I really didn't mean to! I didn't know Elder Sister Cheng An is so fragile," the second female lead said, showing no remorse and still trying to shift the blame.

Still feeling unwell after choking on water, Cheng An didn't have the energy to argue.

At this time, a commotion broke out in the crowd. Cheng An looked up and saw Lu Nan, dressed in a suit.

Lu Nan's expression darkened slightly. He pushed through the crowd, walked straight to Cheng An, bent down, picked her up, and carried her in the direction of the hotel where she was resting.

Cheng An's face instantly turned bright red: "Elder Brother Lu Nan, I'm soaking wet! Put me down and I’ll walk myself!"

However, Lu Nan didn't offer his usual gentle smile.

He didn't answer Cheng An's question, but instead told his assistant, "Find out who's behind that second female lead. Tell him to be sensible and get rid of her. I don't want to see her on set again tomorrow."

"Yes, President Lu."

Cheng An stared blankly at him.

Lu Nan carried her back to the hotel, instructing the staff to prepare a bowl of ginger soup.

On the way, Lu Nan had called his private doctor.

Cheng An couldn't get a word.

Back in the room, Lu Nan led her into the bathroom, telling her to take a shower and change.

Cheng An stood in front of the mirror, looking at her slightly flushed face, and patted it hard to clear her head.

After changing, the ginger soup was already served. Although Cheng An felt fine, Lu Nan insisted she drink a bowl to dispel the chill.

Lu Nan bought her congee, her favorite shrimp chip congee.

Lu Nan took a small bowl, ladled out some congee, stirred it to cool it, and handed it to Cheng An.

“Aren’t you usually the most powerful in front of me? How come you got bullied like this without even fighting back?” Seeing that Cheng An had cheered up, Lu Nan joked.

“She’s a junior, I can’t possibly hold a grudge against her,” Cheng An said.

“What kind of junior is that? If she’s disobedient, just teach her a lesson. With me as your support, what are you afraid of?” Lu Nan said.

“You can’t do that forever, can you?” Cheng An muttered softly.

“What did you say?” Lu Nan didn’t hear clearly and asked again.

“Nothing.” Cheng An smiled.

Lu Nan reached out and ruffled her soft, long hair.

This gesture seemed like he was coaxing a child. Cheng An frowned, removing his hand.

“How about I take you out for something delicious tonight?” Lu Nan’s tone sounded like he was coaxing a child, making Cheng An feel a little irked.

That evening, Lu Nan took her to a privately-run Chinese restaurant.

"It's not as good as Yao Yao's food," Cheng An complained.

Lu Nan smiled and poured himself a glass of red wine.

"I want some too," Cheng An said, licking her lips as she looked at the bright red liquid.

Lu Nan poured her a small glass as well: "Just a taste. This wine has a strong aftereffect."

Cheng An took a small sip. The mellow, lingering flavor made her eyes squint slightly.

By the end, Cheng An was quite tipsy. She almost got into someone else's car when they left the restaurant, but Lu Nan pulled her back.

"How did you get yourself so drunk?" Lu Nan chuckled, his deep, magnetic voice sounding above Cheng An's head.

The two got into the back seat, sitting very close. Cheng An felt her face burning even more.

She struggled to move to the side, but Lu Nan grabbed her wrist: "Don't move, okay?"

Lu Nan practically carried her back to the hotel.

Cheng An laid on the bed. Face flushed, she looked incredibly alluring.

Lu Nan stared at her for a while before covering her with the blanket and prepared to leave.

At this moment, Cheng An grabbed his hand. Her slightly open eyes glistened with tears.

“Elder Brother Lu Nan, you have a fiancée now, so don’t be so nice to me. I finally let you go and don’t want to like you anymore.” Tears welled up in Cheng An’s eyes.

Lu Nan grasped her hand in return and sat down on the edge of the bed. “Who told you I have a fiancée?”

“The year before I went abroad, I overheard you talking to your assistant outside your office, asking him to help prepare the things needed for the engagement and to retrieve the engagement ring you had prepared for the proposal.” Under the influence of alcohol, Cheng An honestly confessed.

Lu Nan sat there, silent for a long while.

After a long silence, he reached out and ruffled Cheng An's hair. "Silly girl, so that's why you went abroad."

Lu Nan took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. "There's never been anyone else. I've always loved you."

"I've been suppressing my feelings, afraid to tell you. Before, it was because you were in school, and then you entered the entertainment industry. I was afraid my feelings would affect you. After all, you publicly stated you didn't want to date or get married so early. All those things were prepared for you."

"Now you're drunk, I won't say too much to a drunkard. When you sober up, I want to ask you one more time: are you willing to accept me?"

Lu Nan lowered his head and gently kissed the back of her hand.

Two hours later, half-asleep, Cheng An suddenly sat up in bed. She couldn't be dreaming, could she? Lu Nan had just confessed to her?!

And so, Tang Yao received that phone call.

"I always thought he didn't like me, but I never expected him to say he likes me as much as I like him." Cheng An was a little incoherent, but one could tell she was overjoyed.

"Okay, okay, do you have to feed me this dog food in the middle of the night. Can you please consider the feelings of us single people?" Despite saying this, Tang Yao was happy for Cheng An.

Cheng An giggled on the phone all night, asking Tang Yao if she was dreaming.

The next day, Tang Yao went out with dark circles under her eyes.

After a night of excitement, Cheng An couldn't sleep at all. As soon as she opened the door, she saw Lu Nan standing there, holding a bouquet of flowers.

Cheng An wasn't prepared at all. She was caught off guard by seeing him like this.

"Good morning." Lu Nan's expression was still gentle as he handed Cheng An the flowers and breakfast.

"Why are you still here?" Cheng An blurted out and then regretted it.

Lu Nan raised an eyebrow slightly: "You want me to leave? Too bad, I've taken leave. I won't go back to work until I've successfully pursued my wife."

Cheng An's face flushed instantly. She glared at him and quickly pulled him inside to avoid others overhearing their embarrassing conversation.

"An'an, remember? I said last night I’ll wait for your answer." Lu Nan's handsome face was full of seriousness.

"I...I can't go public with you yet, and you still have to pursue me. You can't interfere with my work..." Cheng An didn't even know what she was saying by the end.

"Of course, you don't need to worry about any of that. I said I'd be your support, I'd unconditionally support you." Lu Nan smiled. His usually cold eyes now filled with tenderness.

Cheng An suddenly had the urge to cry. Her long, hopeless unrequited love seemed to have finally blossomed.

Through teary eyes, Lu Nan pulled her into a tighter embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment