Friday 28 July 2023

7DLW 14




Chapter 14 Comparing


"What did you say! She really held a banquet?"

In the male educated youth dormitory, Han Guang Hui put down the various coupons he was sorting out and turned to look at Li You Hai in the dormitory.

Complying to his chubby belly, Li You Hai ate a snack, "Why would I lie to you? It's only been a day. It’s only been a day since it happened. Just the day before yesterday. I heard from Wang Gui Yue that they invited two tables. Xu Xiao Jiao was wearing a red dress. It was quite lively."

Seeing that Han Guang Hui's livid face, Li You Hai patted him, "Oh, you’re capable. Still, haven't forgotten her. I knew you were a couple since we first went to the countryside. I didn't see you being so enthusiastic toward Xu Xiao Jiao back then. Why can't you let it go now?"

Han Guang Hui turned back and continued to sort the coupons, "What do you know?"

In the past, he knew that Xu Xiao Jiao would marry him. It was always Xu Xiao Jiao who pestered him, making other female educated youths afraid to approach him. Apart from being a little annoyed, he didn't realize how good-looking Xu Xiao Jiao was.

But now, thinking of the gleaming tip of the knife in Song Wei Ping's hand that night, he dared not do anything.

"You already have Zhao Yan Yan here. You’re quite lucky. Aren't both of your family in agreement? Oh, when will you hold a banquet?"

Han Guang Hui was taken aback for a moment. Then he thought of something, "We will!"

He asked Li You Hai, "Do you know what kind of dishes that Song Wei Ping serves?"

He asked the right person. Li You Hai was a glutton. He had already inquired around, "Wang Gui Yue said that it was a huge sum. Not to mention stewed chicken and stewed meat, I heard that the vegetarian dishes were all fried in large oil. Quite tasty. I heard that there was some kind of stewed pork slices. It was extremely scrumptious. Zhou Ping Xiang had said that it was especially delicious. There were sweets given when leaving."

He smacked his mouth twice to swallow the saliva. He swallowed the remaining small piece of snack, "That Song Wei Ping really put in effort. Damn, if I were to marry such a flower-like wife, I would spend all my money to make it decent."

The more Han Guang Hui heard, the more angry he became. "Yan Yan and mine will definitely be better. I'll go directly to the state-run restaurant to book a banquet! What's does a red dress count as? I'll buy a bicycle!"

He wanted Xu Xiao Jiao to open her eyes and take a good look at who was the more capable man.

Zhao Yan Yan couldn't believe it, "Elder Brother Guang Hui, you, you really want to get married to me? And buy a bicycle and hold a lively banquet?"

Han Guang Hui stifled a breath, "Of course, Yan Yan, I want the whole village to see that marrying me is the happiest thing."

Zhao Yan Yan only felt that she was going to faint with joy, "But, a bicycle costs more than 100 yuan. And it requires a coupon. I heard that even if there are coupons, one can't get their hands on it."

Han Guang Hui sneered, "That's something useless mud leg can't get. My parents are both cadres. I have two-three hundred myself. I’ll get my dad to get me a coupon. Yan Yan, when the time comes I'll pick you up on a bicycle and go around the village to make everyone envious of you."

Zhao Yan Yan's heart pounded when she heard this, "Elder Brother Guang Hui, what you say is true, right?"

Han Guang Hui nodded. His smile turned gentle, "How could I lie to you? When we hold the banquet, we will order food from a state-run restaurant. No one will say no."

Zhao Yan Yan felt that she had never been so happy in her life. She was going to live a better life soon.

"They haven't got the certificate yet and are already showing off in the dormitory every day. Saying, beautiful clothes will be bought. Then saying, a bicycle will be bought. And saying a state-run restaurant will be booked for the banquet. You didn't see how her tail go up to the sky."

Wang Gui Yue nibbled on the pumpkin seeds indignantly and spat, "Say, Xiao Jiao, what is she showing off for? She is shameless. It’s just a snatched man."

Xu Xiao Jiao didn't even know why she was angry. The one who got the man snatched wasn’t her, "Do you need to anger yourself because of someone irrelevant?"

Wang Gui Yue wasn't that saintly, "Xiao Jiao, aren’t you mad? Think about it! That’s a bicycle. That money. That banquet in the state-run restaurant. It should all belong to you. It was Zhao Yan Yan who shamelessly snatched it away."

Zhou Ping Xiang couldn't listen anymore, "Gui Yue, what are you talking about? Xiao Jiao is married now."

Wang Gui Yue sighed, knowing that she had said too much. She changed the topic to herself, "Each and every one of you are getting married. Ping Xiang and I aren’t young. Xiao Jiao, do you think we should also find someone to marry?"

Xu Xiao Jiao really wanted to immediately refute loudly, 'Why get married? Long live singlehood'. But in the end she held back and said in a roundabout way, "What good marriage can you get now? Isn’t it better to find a city folk when you go back to the city?"

Wang Gui Yue didn’t hold hope, "How can we go back? Look at those who went to the countryside in the early days. All these years, not one was seen returning. They all have their household registration in the village. I think my fate is to marry a villager in the future and spend my whole life farming."

Xu Xiao Jiao knew that many educated youths in this era have taken root in the countryside, got married and had children after numerous years of hoping.

She thought for a while, "Who knows. In my opinion, if you can not get married, then don’t for now. Who knows what will happen in the future. If it was up to me, study more."

The college entrance examination will be resumed next year. Studying more was definitely the right way.

Wang Gui Yue disagreed even more, "Xiao Jiao, I don't believe what you said. What's the use of studying? After learning so much, we still end up coming here to farm. I saw howk Ping Xiang still studies every day when she has nothing to do. What's the use? If one has that time, it's better to have a good relationship with the Branch Secretary and get allocated some easy jobs for work."

Seeing that she couldn’t get through to her, Xu Xiao Jiao turned to Zhou Ping Xiang, "Ping Xiang, you’re still persisting on studying every day?"

Zhou Ping Xiang was a little embarrassed, "I'm not very tired from work recently, so I'll study when I have time."

Xu Xiao Jiao approved, "That's great. I also study every day. Knowledge is power. We can learn from each other."

When it came to studying, Zhou Ping Xiang had a lot to say, "I've been doing high school mathematics recently. You know, I didn't finish high school, so I'm not very good at some parts. You have graduated from high school, so you must know more than me. If I don't understand, can I come and find you?"

"Sure. If I know, I will explain to you." Xu Xiao Jiao nodded. She had already gone through the textbooks brought by the original owner. Not much difficulty. If it weren’t for her lack of interest toward the examination, it wouldn’t be a difficulty to be the top student. If it was just moving her mouth to help others a bit, she can still do it.

Wang Gui Yue curled her lips when she heard this. Two little fools. One married a mud-legged person. The other only knew how to study. Can it beat eating and drinking or exchange for a bicycle? Spring sowing was soon. Last year she was almost exhausted to death. This year she had to find a way to slack off.

Xu Xiao Jiao had no interest in Xu Yan Yan's bicycle and banquet. In her eyes, Han Guang Hui was a scumbag. She wouldn't bat an eye even if the scumbag’s things were for free. An impotent gentleman like Song Wei Ping was better. It was only half a month. In a short amount of time, he not only solved the problem of meat supply, but also didn't need her to participate in the pot stewed meat. Everything went smoothly and every day was a bliss.

What she didn't know was that Han Guang Hui gave her a huge sum of money in order to hold a glamorous banquet.

One day, Song Wei Ping told her, "A fatty came to buy two pieces of meat a few days ago. Today, he ordered another six jins." 

No comments:

Post a Comment